Migrate To Magento
Why and when migrating to a new eCommerce platform?
In today’s fast-growing eCommerce world, all the companies that do their business via online stores have to keep-up with the newest trends in order to keep the sales on the appropriate levels, ensure business growth and have the customers satisfaction on the steadily high level. Accordingly, with the development of the new technologies the customers’ needs and requirements become more and more sophisticated.
And when you realize that your online store is doing fine, but the problem is that you’re not moving forward, you should ask yourself — when exactly did you have your eCommerce website built by the web agency? If it was developed some years ago on the platform that was the most popular at that time, it doesn’t mean that it still works in the same way for your customers, and the reasons may be different. Maybe, your customers see that it’s become dated, or navigation is not convenient enough, or the platform is hard to use or difficult to extend. This may be caused by inactive community of the developers, outdated technology used, custom CMS not supported by the developers, etc.
Perhaps, there’s another reason, but you should admit that all “new shoes” become old one day, especially with the change of trends. The same is here, old website may have a negative impact on your business, and only your competitors will find it good.
In this situation, it is worth considering the migration to another platform that supports majority of the newest technologies, is flexible and has a strong community behind.
One of the platforms that we suggest is Magento eCommerce platform.
Why migrating to Magento?
So, why Magento? If you consider several options, you will understand that Magento (Community Edition or Enterprise Edition) gives you the best balance of flexibility, control, time to market and total cost of ownership to help you see the full potential of your online business.
Here go the benefits you will get when migrating to Magento:
- A lot of new features go with Magento by default, no needs to develop them.
- Flexible customization according to your business needs.
- Catalog management. If you have a web-store, in most cases you can export the catalog and, after some modifications, easily import it to Magento using the advanced import profiles. It saves a lot of time and avoids the unnecessary work.
- Design can be migrated as well, of course with the additional development. But in most cases your customers should not feel a big difference after the migration.
- Multiple stores management under one platform. Yes, with Magento you can have several completely different stores on one platform. Which is a great feature.
- Reports and analytics. Magento gives you a full control over information about your sales, orders, customers, search terms used by your customers, etc. All Magento stores also have Google Analytics integrated.
- Export products
- Impressive community with a lot of free extensions available to download.
- Easy Order control (create, edit, cancel, hold, approve)
- Customizable Marketing tools – coupons, discounts, newsletters, bestsellers, any other featured products. It's only the minor part of the promotions you can get with Magento by default. Find more info about Merchandising and Promotions with Magento in our Blog.
- Incredible amount of options for your product and product attributes that you can easily create by yourself
- Magento is an Open Source project, it means that there's no need of monthly, yearly and other payments.
Of course, you should know that all the custom development made for your project might be not compatible with Magento. However, in most cases we can use your code to build a Magento based solution with exactly the same functionality, or develop it from scratch if needed.
Sometimes, migration can take a lot of time, depending on the project complexity. But still less than developing a totally new store.
What data can I migrate to Magento?
Product Title, Description, Model, Created Time, Modified Time, Available, Weight, Quantity, Default Price, Special Price, Tax Class, Product Images, etc.
Category Title, Description, Category Images, etc.
Customer shipping address, Customer billing address.
- Reports and analytics
Magento gives you a full control over information about your sales, orders, customers, search terms used by your customers, etc. All Magento stores also have Google Analytics integrated.
- Clear current data on Target Store before Migration
- Skip product thumbnail images migration
- Create product variants based on the combinations of options
- Preserve order IDs on Target Store
- Strip HTML from category, product names and descriptions
- Migrate images from products descriptions and categories descriptions
- Change products quantity to 100 on Target Store
As you can see, there’s a bunch of truly important features that you may get when migrating to Magento. And it’s always up to you either to migrate to Magento or stay on your current system. Just keep in mind that you have this option when your business needs will exceed the actual possibilities of your current platform.
If you are thinking of migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you can find the benefits in our Blog section as “Magento 2: New features of a new powerful platform”.